Monday, September 2, 2013

Personal Challenges

For sometime now I've experienced heart palpitations accompanied by mild to severe chest pains. During the past 18 months, the chest pains, although mild, have become more frequent.  I finally made the decision to see a cardiologist.  Last week, I underwent a stress test with several other tests to diagnose my heart problems.  For sure, I have a heart murmur which I could have had since childhood and never knew about it.  What's not for sure is whether I have one clogged artery or more than one.  The doctor thinks only one, but to know for sure, I'm scheduled for a heart catheterization test on September 11th.  If the problem is not too severe, it may be cured with a stent. If the problem is more severe than the doc thinks, open heart surgery is the fix.

So, now I'm among the legions of Americans who have nitro tablets with me at all times. I don't leave home without it.  Assuming a stent is all that will be required to but the beast to sleep, I plan to be back to full speed 3 or 4 days after the procedure.

I write this in my blog rather than on Facebook for several reasons.  #1, I'm not looking for a pity party as is often seen in Facebook posts, and #2, I only wish for a few of my closest friends to know this. I literally detest the begging for a pity party.  So, if you're reading this, you know that you are counted among my closest friends. I ask that you not share this publicly.

No comments: